As you are aware effective 1/1/2014 Kaiser has introduced a special preventive care visit for Denver Fire Department Local 858 called the Fire Fighters Exam. Some of you may have already tried to schedule or had your exam and experienced some confusion on Kaiser’s part. Kaiser is sending a second communication internally to their clinics and their member support teams.
I have outlined below the specific steps to take when scheduling the exam and what to expect as part of the exam. Please remember for firefighters enrolled in the High Deductible HMO plan there may be additional charges associated with the additional screenings.
What You Need to Do:
1. When calling to make an appointment for the Fire Fighter Exam call 303-338-4545
2. When scheduling the appointment advise them that you are scheduling the Fire Fighters Exam and identify yourself as a Denver Fire Fighter with Group # 00074
3. Please hold all questions specific to the Fire Fighters Exam until your appointment with the Physician. The call center employees are not trained to answer any clinical questions related to this exam.
4. Please keep in mind that a stress test may not be required depending on your overall general health this will vary from member to member.
5. This Exam requires what we call a smart set of specific screenings; this appointment may feel just like a normal annual physical exam again depending on your overall health; however it is designed specifically for Fire Fighters and calls for additional screenings and labs tests, which include:
• Tests to monitor kidney and liver function, blood count, urine test
• EKG is to be done at least once for all firefighters
• Stress test is to be done on all moderate and high risk individuals every 5 years
6. The Fire Fighters Exam brochure is in the final stages of production once finalized we will make this available to all Fire Fighters and their families. We ask that you bring these brochures with you to your appointment.
Health and Benefits Director
Denver Firefighters Local 858